Bentley Releases Inaugural Bentley Infrastructure 500 Top Owners Ranking21 Oct, 2010 By: Nancy Spurling Johnson
First-of-its-kind global ranking of public- and private-sector owners represents more than $13 trillion in infrastructure investments in 46 countries.
At its Be Inspired event in Amsterdam on Tuesday, software developer Bentley Systems announced the release of its inaugural Bentley Infrastructure 500 ranking of the top infrastructure owners worldwide. The global compendium lists the top public- and private-sector owners of infrastructure based on the value of their cumulative infrastructure investments (measured by reported net tangible fixed assets).
Bentley develops a comprehensive line of software that supports infrastructure development. The company reports that the company compiled Bentley Infrastructure 500 to help global constituents appreciate and explore the magnitude of investment in infrastructure and the potential to continually increase the return on that investment. The infrastructure value represented is more than US$ $13 trillion, which, to provide perspective, is close to the U.S. annual gross domestic product (GDP) and equal to the combined annual GDPs of China, Japan, and Germany.
Data sources for the Bentley Infrastructure 500 included published financial statements and third-party research. The rankings, which Bentley Systems will update annually, make it possible to readily compare investment levels across types of infrastructure, regions of the world, and public and private organizations. Bentley Systems authorizes and encourages people to use the list for any purpose, with attribution.
Bentley serves more than 75% of the Bentley Infrastructure 500 owners and 92 of the top 100 owners. CEO Greg Bentley said the rankings and measurements provide a frame of reference "to help all of us appreciate just how massive investments in infrastructure are, and the degree to which enabling better returns on these investments is leveraged."
At a press conference at the Be Inspired event, Greg Bentley commented on the results of the report, saying he was personally surprised by the high ratio of private to public organizations on the top 500 list (approximately 2:1), as well as by the number of municipalities that made the list.
Forty-six countries are represented in the rankings. The top five countries, in terms of the infrastructure value of the top owners headquartered in each, are:
- United States: 166 top owners, $4,241.1 billion
- Japan: 58 top owners, $1,349.2 billion
- China: 29 top owners, $869.6 billion
- France: 22 top owners, $747.2 billion
- United Kingdom: 23 top owners, $617.8 billion
Further analysis of the top owners shows the extensive involvement of the private sector in infrastructure investments, with 359 of the Bentley Infrastructure 500 being private-sector organizations. The total value of their infrastructure is more than $9 trillion.
The top 10 owners in the Bentley Infrastructure 500 and the value of their respective infrastructure are:
- United States Government: $282.7 billion
- Electricite de France SA-EDF: $186.4 billion
- Gazprom (Russia): $161.8 billion
- PetroChina Company Limited: $155.9 billion
- Exxon Mobil Corporation: $139.1 billion
- Petrobras (Brazil): $132.2 billion
- Royal Dutch Shell Plc: $129.1 billion
- United States Department of the Army: $122.1 billion
- Enel Spa (Italy): $113.9 billion
- Nippon Telegraph and Telephone Corporation (Japan): $107.8 billion
The ranking also shows:
- the largest commercial facilities owner is No. 13, Wal-Mart Stores, at $102.3 billion;
- the largest state government infrastructure owner is No. 14, California, at $102.2 billion;
- the largest rail owner is No. 15, Ferrovie Dello Stato, at $101.6 billion;
- the largest manufacturing owner is No. 31, Toyota Motor, at $71.9 billion;
- the largest mineral resources owner is No. 36, Vale, at $66.1 billion;
- the largest infrastructure owner in India is No. 81, Reliance Industries, at $38.1 billion;
- the largest private infrastructure investor is No. 89, Ferrovial, at $35.9 billion;
- the largest bank owner is No. 128, Royal Bank of Scotland Group, at $25.3 billion;
- the largest private water infrastructure owner is No. 322, Kemble Water Holdings, at $14.3 billion.
Other notable top owners include:
- No. 88, Government of Hong Kong, at $36.2 billion;
- No. 183, University of California, at $21.2 billion;
- No. 232, The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, at $18.3 billion;
- No. 258, Walt Disney Company, at $17.5 billion;
- No. 404, Hospital Corporation of America, at $11.5 billion;
- No. 468, City of Helsinki, at $10.2 billion
"As the global economy improves and government investments in this area increase, the time to advance our infrastructure is now," said Michael Valocchi, Energy & Utilities Industry Leader for IBM Global Business Services. "IBM's Smarter Planet initiative is showing that doing more with what we have and adding intelligence to all elements of our infrastructure can enable better economic decisions and environmental outcomes. I congratulate Bentley on this fine new tool for the entire infrastructure community."
Norbert Young, former leader of McGraw-Hill Construction and currently managing director of Duck Cove Associates consulting firm and a member of the Bentley Infrastructure Ambassadors Council, said, "Up to now, there wasn't a ranking counterpart to McGraw-Hill's highly regarded ENR top lists of design and construction firms, compiling global infrastructure owners based on their cumulative net investment. With the release of the Bentley Infrastructure 500 top owners, AECO professionals and their many constituents can now refer to this well-researched ranking.
The top 500 list was in development for a year-and-a-half, Bentley reports. Those wishing to provide new or updated information about their organizations for consideration in the 2011 edition of the Bentley Infrastructure 500 can visit www.bentley.com/500interest.
About the Author: Nancy Spurling Johnson
In her easy-to-follow, friendly style, long-time Cadalyst contributing editor Lynn Allen guides you through a new feature or time-saving trick in every episode of her popular AutoCAD Video Tips. Subscribe to the free Cadalyst Video Picks newsletter, and we'll notify you every time a new video tip is published. All exclusively from Cadalyst!