Vectorworks 2015 Release Highlights Mobile Options18 Sep, 2014 By: Cadalyst Staff
The first 64-bit version of the portfolio for AEC, landscape design, and entertainment design features a new mobile app and automatic sync of file changes to the cloud.
Nemetschek Vectorworks began the global rollout the 2015 version of its building information modeling (BIM) software portfolio this week, which includes Vectorworks Designer, Architect, Landmark, Spotlight, Fundamentals, and Renderworks.
Ranging from Stability to Mobility
Vectorworks 2015 is the first 64-bit version of the entire product line; previously, the Renderworks rendering engine was the only 64-bit component available. The company expects the change to provide users with better performance and stability, as well as the capability to handle larger files.
"As more users begin to exchange building information models between disciplines, we're seeing these model sizes explode," said Chief Executive Officer Sean Flaherty during a press call this week. "That's why we brought 64-bit capabilities to our entire product line, making our platform more capable and reliable than ever before."
Enhanced VGM. The new release boasts more than 100 updates and new features, including improvements to the Vectorworks Graphics Module (VGM) introduced in the 2014 release. These include:
- Faster wireframe rendering and planar graphics creation.
- Smooth animations of model view changes.
- The option to set 3D render mode and projection preferences.
- Higher render quality and more efficient import of meshes.
Modeling and rendering improvements. New and enhanced capabilities in Vectorworks Architect include:
- Users can create curtain walls and storefronts with the Wall tool. The Edit Curtain Wall tool enables direct editing, including grabbing, moving, reshaping, and aligning all aspects of curtain walls.
Existing walls can be converted into curtain walls with a toggle in the Object Info palette.
- A new rectangle Wall tool mode draws a rectangular walled area in two clicks, and automatically joins with existing walls. The Trim tool can remove any wall segment between two joins with one click.
- A new level constraint system can restrict objects such as walls and columns to a level without the creation of an additional design layer.
- The new Deform tool enables users to bend, taper, and bulge geometric objects.
- Interactive rendering enhancements include faster wireframe rendering and planar graphics, improved spatial relationships in the Wireframe rendering mode, smooth view change animations, and expanded styling and control capabilities in OpenGL, including turning off colors.
- Users can overlay sketchy artistic edge effects on renderings.
- Textures are now linked with planar hatching, and the majority of the default textures in Renderworks have been updated to include a hatch that matches each image-based texture.
- File handling improvements include import and export support for STEP files; improved support for SketchUp, including texture import; enhanced support for STL export; a new COBie option for IFC export; and import and export enhancements for DXF/DWG and DWF files.
- Gradient options now include opacity and color controls.
- Worksheet improvements include a new menu bar, a percentage number format, and the IFC4 standard date format.
Videos demonstrating the new features are available on the Vectorworks 2015 site.
In her easy-to-follow, friendly style, long-time Cadalyst contributing editor Lynn Allen guides you through a new feature or time-saving trick in every episode of her popular AutoCAD Video Tips. Subscribe to the free Cadalyst Video Picks newsletter, and we'll notify you every time a new video tip is published. All exclusively from Cadalyst!