Siemens PLM Shares Strategy and a Glimpse of What’s Ahead26 Sep, 2013 By: Nancy Spurling Johnson
As it remains focused on continually shoring up Teamcenter’s core architecture, the company announces plans for Industry Catalyst apps designed to address the needs of specific markets.
In the realm of modern manufacturing, fast has been key: Product developers can’t be slow to market and expect to survive. But today you also have to be smart. That requires building on a platform of best practices and solid business strategy while understanding and responding to the needs of customers.
Interestingly, that’s precisely the approach of Siemens PLM Software in developing the product lifecycle management (PLM) solution, Teamcenter, that supports manufacturing customers. The foundation of the software is a “future-proof architecture” — a platform that is open and interoperable as well as scalable, offers flexible deployment options, and is upwardly compatible to protect a customer’s long-term investment in the software.
Steve Bashada, senior vice-president, industry strategy, said, “We want to ensure future proofing, that our product releases are smooth and fast” and help customers execute key processes and move forward without complex system configuration. Bashada was addressing attendees at the annual Siemens PLM Software Analyst and Media Conference in Boston this month. He explained 70% of manufacturing practices are common across all users and can be addressed by a single platform PLM solution, while the other 30% are specific to a given customer and typically require customization. But that is changing with the company’s announcement of its Industry Catalyst Series, offerings that consist of a prepackaged combination of industry best practice guides, templates, and software designed to accelerate PLM deployment and tailor the system to the needs of specific industries while reducing the need for customer-specific customization.
“What we hope to see happen is to reduce the 30% customer-specific practices to 10%,” Bashada said, “with 20% being industry specific. … We hope that the industry-specific adoption improves in this way.
“At the end of the day,” he said, “the most important thing is the industry solution itself.”
CEO Chuck Grindstaff and his executive team answer questions from attendees at the Siemens PLM Software Analyst and Media Conference.
Siemens PLM also announced a new product in the Teamcenter portfolio called Active Workspace, a personalized environment for instantly accessing 3D information. Working in conjunction with other Siemens PLM Software technology, Active Workspace is designed to bring together this information in instantly available, visual representations that support decision-making.
Chuck Grindstaff, CEO and president of Siemens PLM Software, established context for the two-day media event — and for his company’s products — by emphasizing the importance of manufacturing. “Manufacturing matters and has always mattered. Success in society is almost always correlated with advances in productivity, technology, and manufacturing,” he said. Of the top economies in the world, he explained — including the United States, Germany, China, and Japan — every one has a strong focus on manufacturing.
Today, he said, “Manufacturing is strong. It is a huge contributor to the economy globally.” In the United States, manufacturing accounts for 9% of jobs, 12% of the gross domestic product (GDP), 35% of engineers, and 90% of patents. “Manufacturing sustains economic stability and drives growth.”
About the Author: Nancy Spurling Johnson
In her easy-to-follow, friendly style, long-time Cadalyst contributing editor and Autodesk Technical Evangelist Lynn Allen guides you through a new feature or time-saving trick in every episode of her popular AutoCAD video tips. Subscribe to the free Cadalyst Video Picks newsletter and we'll notify you every time a new video tip is published. All exclusively from Cadalyst!