New Versions of Bentley Map V8i, Geo Web Publisher V8i Streamline Geospatial Workflows30 May, 2012 By: Cadalyst Staff
The 3D GIS and web publishing platform are designed to help infrastructure professionals make better use of spatial databases, point clouds, and 3D models.
Bentley Systems intends to "advance GIS for infrastructure" with new versions of its GIS software and web publishing platform. Bentley Map V8i (SELECTseries 3) and Geo Web Publisher V8i (SELECTseries 4) are designed to streamline geospatial workflows in infrastructure projects, thereby reducing time and money expenditures.
Bentley Map is used by infrastructure professionals to create 3D GIS models in support of engineering decision-making. The new version helps users take greater advantage of point-cloud data and scalable terrain models. In addition, it improves geospatial workflows with data streaming from spatial databases (Oracle Spatial, and now Microsoft SQL Server Spatial) and Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC)-compliant web services.
Bentley Map V8i (SELECTseries 3) also enables users to incorporate point-cloud files and digital terrain models in geospatial workflows, and provides editing and 3D spatial analysis to help improve data quality and decision-making. New features in this release include:
- support for Microsoft SQL Server Spatial, enabling new levels of interoperability and enterprise integration for Microsoft SQL Server users;
- advanced point-cloud processing, bringing point-cloud data into geospatial workflows to support the creation of intelligent 3D models that combine vector geometry, imagery, and point clouds;
- the manipulation of very large scalable terrain models, helping users maintain a single terrain model for an entire region or country and keep the model up-to-date with inputs from multiple sources;
- spatial data streaming through a redesigned spatial database interface that delivers information dynamically to the desktop;
- Web Feature Service (WFS), allowing connections to any WFS server through which an organization publishes spatial information in OGC-standard formats for consumption and editing by Bentley Map;
- new mapping tools such as the Grid/Graticules Generation tool; and
- creation and editing of custom coordinate systems.
Bentley Geo Web Publisher is a web GIS platform that integrates a variety of data sources and authoring and administration of web applications. The new version, Bentley Geo Web Publisher V8i (SELECTseries 4), publishes 3D spatial information, brings together multiple data sources, and supports collaboration among distributed project teams and the public. Moreover, its web application builder enables GIS managers to quickly and easily create and maintain rich web GIS applications, Bentley reports. Additional features include:
- the provision of full fidelity to MicroStation data, including textures, point clouds, terrain models, and attribute data;
- presentation of source data with engineering accuracy;
- simple, immersive map navigation;
- support for a wide variety of data sources, including Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server Spatial, OGC WMS, OGC WFS, GIS files, CAD files, and raster imagery;
- support for Web Feature Service Client, allowing connections to any WFS server used to publish spatial information in the OGC standard;
- more development tools, including sample pages supporting touch-based mobile devices such as iPad; and
- 3D publishing of i-models and CAD files.
According to the company, these new capabilities can benefit organizations that share and publish intelligent 3D information models, including cadastres, local governments, and public- and private-sector infrastructure owner–operators that use 3D models for public mapping services, 3D city initiatives, and engineering projects.
In her easy-to-follow, friendly style, long-time Cadalyst contributing editor Lynn Allen guides you through a new feature or time-saving trick in every episode of her popular AutoCAD Video Tips. Subscribe to the free Cadalyst Video Picks newsletter, and we'll notify you every time a new video tip is published. All exclusively from Cadalyst!