Vacation Planning for the CAD Manager10 Jul, 2013 By: Robert Green
Follow these simple tips to maximize your summer fun — and minimize the chance of work-related interruptions.
Summer is here, and many of us will be taking vacations during the next few months. To help you make the most of your precious vacation time, here are some recommendations I've gleaned from experienced managers over the years.
- Communicate well in advance. Let everyone know when you'll be on vacation. Encourage all parties to bring issues to your attention before you leave so you can address them prior to departing.
- Establish separation. Since everyone has been told of your departure and encouraged to proactively address issues, you are within your rights to insist on being left alone while on vacation. Emergencies may happen, but at least you've minimized the potential for interruption.
- Set "office" hours. If you do have to check in while on vacation, let everyone know what time of day that will be. Make this a time that is convenient for you — after all, you're the one on vacation.
- Turn off the phone. At night, during your kayak trip, at dinner — at all times, other than those specific hours explained above.
- Note interruptions. If you are interrupted on vacation, ask yourself why. Was it something you could have avoided by planning better? By analyzing these annoyances, you may find ways to improve your CAD management systems.
- Step away from the laptop. You work with technology every day, so take a break from it when you're on vacation! My goal is to have my ATM card be the most high-tech tool I use.
By planning ahead, you'll have the best chance to experience a relaxing, reinvigorating vacation so you can come back to work refreshed and ready to go.
Do you have a tip or question for the CAD Manager's Newsletter? Send it to me at firstname.lastname@example.org. If I use your tip in the newsletter you'll receive a cool Cadalyst prize!
In her easy-to-follow, friendly style, long-time Cadalyst contributing editor and Autodesk Technical Evangelist Lynn Allen guides you through a new feature or time-saving trick in every episode of her popular AutoCAD video tips. Subscribe to the free Cadalyst Video Picks newsletter and we'll notify you every time a new video tip is published. All exclusively from Cadalyst!