Dell Positions Petite Workstation as Perfect Fit for Pandemic-Squeezed Workspaces25 Aug, 2020 By: Cadalyst Staff
With a starting price just under $600, the Dell Precision 3240 Compact aims to limit consumption of budget dollars as well as desktop space.
Dell has announced availability and pricing for the Dell Precision 3240 Compact, a small–form factor desktop workstation that was announced in May and originally scheduled for a September release. The workstation is independent software vendor (ISV)-certified; supports virtual reality (VR), augmented reality (AR), and artificial intelligence (AI) applications; and can run as many as seven 4K displays at 60 Hz. It’s intended for a variety of compute-demanding professionals who face physical space limitations, including engineers, designers, and architects who create simulations and perform 2D/3D modeling tasks on lightly threaded applications.
Banana for scale: the Dell Precision 3240 Compact minimizes the space needed for a workstation tower. Image source: Dell.
- Dimensions of 7.40" (H) x 2.76" (W) x 7.03" (D)
- Volume of approximately 2.3 L and starting weight of 3.77 lbs
- Tenth-generation Intel Core or Xeon processors
- Accelerated memory speeds as fast as 2,933 MHz, with capacities expandable to 64 GB and optional error-correcting code (ECC) memory
- Up to 4 TB of hard disk drive/solid-state drive (HDD/SSD) storage, including PCIe NVMe SSD options; RAID optional
- Multiple mounting options, including on the monitor stand or on the underside of the desktop
- Optional Wi-Fi capabilities
- Front-access USB 3.2 ports
- Protective dust and cable covers
- Operating system options include Windows 10 Pro for Workstations and Ubuntu Linux 18.04 LTS
- Dell Optimizer for Precision, an AI-based optimization software application that automatically tunes performance of all Dell workstations using machine learning.
Mounting options for the Dell Precision 3240 Compact include behind a monitor. Image source: Dell.
According to the company, the 3240’s small footprint makes it well suited to offices that are straining to create more distance between employees, as well as newly home-bound workers using closets as makeshift cubicles. “With some planning to return to the office over the coming months, many businesses and institutions are looking to reshape office layouts, striking a delicate balance that promotes both worker safety and productivity,” said Tom Tobul, vice president of Product Management for Commercial Specialty Computing, Client Solutions, Dell, in a product launch blog post. “Open office space will be a commodity, and those who continue to work remotely may also be seeking smaller devices that can be tucked away easily.”
The Dell Precision 3240 is now available, and pricing starts at $599. An NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000 professional graphics option will become available in October.
Create Professional 3D Models Anywhere - Shapr3D is an industrial-strength CAD tool that runs natively on your iPad. Import and Export files from most major desktop applications. Find out more and download a free copy here!
Running AutoCAD? Test Your Hardware! Designed to test and compare the performance of systems running AutoCAD, Cadalyst's Benchmark Test is a popular and long-time favorite.