Project Kickoff Questionnaire11 Jun, 2014 By: Robert Green
Make sure you cover all your bases before a project starts, and ask users to fill out this survey prior to your meeting.
As a companion piece to the article, "Project Kickoff Meeting: Your Secret Weapon for Success," use this sample questionnaire to get project input from your extended CAD team. As mentioned in the article, it is the goal of the project kickoff meeting to answer all pertinent questions about the CAD practices for a project so that work can proceed smoothly. My goal with this questionnaire is to find out things from my CAD team that I haven't thought of.
Here then is a sample list of questions you can use to start the conversation:
- Are there any problems with our CAD tools we need to solve before this project begins?
- Are there any issues with how we do projects (such as workflow) that we should address before starting a new project?
- Are there any IT issues (permissions, cloud applications, etc.) that are causing problems for you?
- Have you heard anything about the new project that concerns you?
- Is there any training or coordination we need to undertake before the new project starts?
All I'm really doing is asking my CAD users what we can do to improve their work environment, right? But, I also need to assure my CAD users that the goal is to prevent problems by soliciting feedback. Here's how I phrase my assurance: "This is not about blame or who's having trouble, it is about making things better. So, please bring up anything you feel needs addressing and be assured that I'll address everything in a positive manner." And after I say this, I actually do it so the users will trust me moving forward.
I'd also like to point out that it is useful to run this list of questions by your CAD team periodically just to get an idea of what you can do to improve things, whether a new project is starting up or not.
Do you have a cool tip, web site, article, or utility for the CAD Manager's Newsletter? Send it to me at firstname.lastname@example.org. If I use your tip in the newsletter you'll receive a prize!